Might Just See the Sunrise Again
I currently work swing shift (3 pm - 11 pm). My boss wants to move me back to day shift (7 am - 3 pm). In his opinion, Senior NCOs shouldn't be working off-shifts. And while I don't necessarily agree with him, I do understand where he's coming from. But I'm still very torn on whether or not I want to try and fight the move. Fortunately, my boss won't be back to work until Nov. 15, so I've got some time to come up with some good reasoning if I want to fight the move.
Working swings, I get shift differential pay, which comes out to nearly $600 a month. That's no small change. Granted, due to piss poor money management skills, I have no idea what I'm doing with that money, but I'm also sure I could take the loss and be relatively just fine. Honestly, while the shift differential is nice, it's not the main reason I want to stay on swings.
I mainly want to stay on swings because that's the shift that works best for my natural sleep rhythm. If I had no time commitments in my life, I'm quite sure my natural sleep cycle would be like 2 am - 10 am. That's just where I feel comfortable and refreshed at and my current work shift almost fits that perfectly.
The other reasons I want to stay swings are way less traffic to deal with (especially coming home from work), much more convenient for medical appointments without having to use up sick leave, and I feel like I get to see a bit more daylight during Alaska winters (which we're coming upon). Oh, also helps out for big Magic releases that happen in the middle of the day, but if I'm ever to start managing my money better, those releases are just gonna have to start being skipped anyways.
All that said, I've been beginning to think maybe day shift wouldn't be a bad idea for me these days. Granted I would at least want to wait until the semester is over so I don't have to leave work in the middle of the day and then drive back - and I especially don't want to go to class in uniform. But I've definitely been missing out on a lot of social life being on swings so long. Or at least a chance at a social life. And I'm definitely lying to myself when I keep saying I can make swing shift work for a social life, I just need to re-find that groove I had ten years ago. I'm just not built like that anymore; if I'm on swings, I'm not going to bed right away when I get home and I'm not making the effort to get up any earlier than I have to.
Wow, just writing this I kind of realize I need to go back to day shift. I'm sure I'll hate it at first, but I already hate my job overall, so what's a little more hate on top of that. I probably won't be able to bring Hamlet with me to work either (I bring my dog to work most days since there's not that many people around so there's less likely anyone will complain about it), but I'll find a way to make it up to him.
Gonna miss that "extra" $600 a month though. Might just have to start selling feet pics online to make up for it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home