Saturday, September 05, 2026

Commander Night at Bosco's, 9/4/2026

I was a in foul mood today (been happening to me a lot of days lately) and almost didn't go to play Magic tonight. Mostly because I'm a bit mad at my LGS. In fact I'm mad at all the LGSs around me, but that's a story for another time. Nonetheless, I once again told myself I have way too many cards to not go play at least every once in awhile when I have the opportunity. And once again, I'm glad I just got up and did it.

It would probably bore 99% of the potential readers of this blog if I were to go into detail about the night's games. But I don't want to deprive the imaginary 1% of a good read.

I was playing the Avengers Assemble pre-con, no changes. I've never played it before and my only time even looking at any of the cards in the deck is when I was sleeving it up. But I'd heard good things about it and figured I may as well give it a go.

In my first pod, one guy was playing a spider-man themed deck that was only blue and white colors. Another guy was playing the World Shaper pre-con with one change. And the other guy was playing an enchantment matters deck he made. This first round started off slow and I was sure the World Shaper guy was going to dominate, but funny enough he was struggling to get land. And by the time he did, the enchantment matters deck had pulled pretty far ahead. And enchantment matters guy would go on to win and I'm pretty sure I had no chance of keeping that from happening.

The second pod was just the three reaming players from the first pod while the winner went on to another bracket. In this pod, the spider man player struggled to get much of anything going while the world shaper kid was in prime position to when it all. However, he decided to take it a little easier on me for whatever reason and focus some efforts on the spider man kid, which allowed me to pull a board wipe at the perfect time and remove all his creatures and swing in with my remaining creature and finish him off. It's not often I get to win a round at commander night, so it felt nice. I even decided to stick around for round 3, this being the first time I'd ever done so as I usually leave after round 2 regardless of how I'm doing.

Round 3 was a full pod again, though the world shaper guy and I got placed together again. One of the other guys was playing a deck based around making defenders into attackers and doing damage equal to their toughness. The other guy had a bear themed deck. This match was much more exciting to me and it felt like anyone had the chance to win at any time. And somehow, I ended up winning. I say "somehow" but what I really mean is the other three were trying to disrupt each other and weakening one another's positions and then suddenly we were out of time and since I was the only one with a decent board state left, they allowed me to attack and no one blocked so we could have a definitive winner instead of just a draw. Which was cool of them all and something I've done the same of before and probably will again.

Anyways, was a pretty good night all considered. There's a regional championship tomorrow that I half considered going to, but it's standard format and I don't have a standard deck built at the moment. Nor do I see myself getting one built in the next 12 hours. Maybe next weekend...

Song of the Day 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home