Sunday, July 26, 2026

Went to the base of O'Malley again

 

My original plans today had been to hike somewhere else, but due to miscommunication with those I was planning on doing that hike with, those place fell through. So I decided to head to O'Malley instead. I know I did it not that long ago, but the weather was crap then and today seemed like a good day for that. Also, it's probably my favorite hike in the Anchorage Bowl. Also, since I'd brought Hamlet the last time I did this hike, I knew he'd be able to do it again. Lastly, there seems to have been more bear attacks than normal this year (thankfully none fatal) and bears tend to attack people hiking alone more than groups. However, I never hear of bear sightings on the O'Malley trail, so it seemed like a safer option.

Just like last time, I knew I'd only be going to the base of O'Malley. Going to the peak itself, or so I've read, requires some scree scrambling and Hamlet wouldn't be able to make that. So we made it to the base without much issue and after a little snack, I decided we should head to the opposing ridgeline just to see the view from there. Unfortunately we were barely a few hundred feet into heading to that ridgeline when Hamlet began noticeably limping. 

On the way back, we found someone's phone and I was able to find them later on the trail while they were looking for it, so it was a bit fortuitous for them Hamlet started limping when he did and altered our course in such a way that I cam across their phone. They may have had a very long day of backtracking to try and find it otherwise. 

We took it a little slower getting back and Hamlet did fine, all considered. Sadly, I think this means in the future he'll be limited to much shorter hikes. I'm doubtful he'll really notice, he's always happy just to be out in the mountains. But I'm gonna notice him not being there when I do the longer ones. 

 

Song of the Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home