Saturday, August 15, 2026

Rematch with Rendezvous Peak

 Years and years ago, I read about a nice little hike in Arctic Valley that goes up to this little hill called Rendezvous Peak. So then years ago, I decided to go out and do this hike. According to the website I read about it on, the trailhead is near the parking lot pay station, so I set out from the trail there. And I never found the proper trail. Instead I found myself near the Nike missile site on the nearby mountain and I had to backtrack down to the parking lot. I decided to check out a different trail I saw everyone else using near the cafe/lodge up there and that turned out to be a much easier trail to navigate. Unfortunately, after I got to the saddle between two peaks (Rendezvous and Mt. Gordon Lyons), I was too tired to continue on (i.e. I wanted to get home and drink) and decided I would try another day.  

Today would end up being that day. Even though my original thought when waking up was to do as little as possible today. But after a little looking back upon the first time I tried this hike and remembering how easy the first half (to the saddle) was, I decided Hamlet could probably do this one and it would be good for me to at least do a little hike.

Immediately I almost made the same mistake as last time of taking the wrong trail. In my defense, I double checked the trail map before leaving the house and it said to use the same trail I did last time, but that there was a t-section and to turn off there. I did not find the t-section again, but this time turned around much earlier and went for the trailhead by the cafe again. I would discover on the way back that the reason I overlooked the t-section is that it's overgrown. So where I thought the trail ended, you really just have to push through. C'est la vie.


 So anyways, Hamlet and I got to it and what I remembered as a very gentle slope towards the saddle was actually a little more steep than I thought. Still, it remained consistent and even though it was taking me longer to move up that I thought it would and wearing me out much quicker that I was prepared for (also, I was very unprepared for this hike), we eventually got to the saddle.


 In my mind, at least on the drive there, I was toying with the idea of hitting up both Mt Gordon Lyons and Rendezvous Peak. Lots of people do it and it honestly doesn't seem like it adds any real challenge, just a little extra time. However, I forgot my knee braces for this hike and they were already beginning to hurt. I also didn't pack much for snacks (again, I was very unprepared). And when I looked up at Rendezvous, I knew it was gonna take what energy I had left just to get up that one.

I've read from multiple accounts that this mountain is a relatively easy hike. I can only assume all those accounts were from people in much better shape than me. I struggled. A lot. I took a lot of breaks and damn near cried when I passed a family with a kid going up in crocs. The good thing though is that while it's as steep as it looks, it wasn't as far as it looked. Before long I was up on the peak feeling the sweet breeze that seems to wash over all peaks in the Chugach.  

Going back down I decided to take a different trail towards the parking lot and that's when I discovered the "proper" trail from the parking lot trailhead. I probably won't use it next time either - it was much muddier than the trailhead by the cafe most everyone else was using. And of course there has to be a next time so I can hit up Mt Gordon Lyons as well. Also, there was a trail along the ridgeline that looked like it might make for a good loop hike to take up more of a day. 


Song of the Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home