Thursday, August 13, 2026

Maybe I should install a lightbar on the Bronco

 I think one of the number one signs I'm getting old (if not the number one sign) is how much I'm really beginning to hate driving at night. I feel like the lights on all the other cars around me are just too damn bright and the clothes pedestrians are wearing are too damn dark. (In my defense, the area of town near the base isn't known for being an upscale section of town and most the people out at 11 pm are dressed like they don't want to be seen).

There was someone on a bike tonight right near the edge of the road and I only noticed them when I was passing them. Had they been in the road, I wouldn't have seen them. And while I contemplated if I'd have felt bad had I hit them, I was blinded by three cars driving in the opposite direction of me. And then all I could think about is how I already miss the days of June and July when I would get off work at 11 pm and there'd still be a decent amount of daylight left.  

 Then I started thinking about the days when I lived in England and how it had a similar amount of sunlight during the summer. Which led to me remembering working swing shift there and getting off late and driving those narrow winding roads home without so much as a streetlight for any illumination beyond what your own car headlights gave. And I missed it. I constantly think of England and how much I miss it. Though I have to wonder now how much more I'd hate nighttime driving on such narrow roads with LED car headlights being the norm everywhere. I bet I'd still enjoy it more than here.

Song of the Day 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home