Saturday, August 08, 2026

Magic: The Gathering, The Hobbit pre-release after action report

Once again, my initial desire to just skip the event and stay home was gone as soon as I started playing. I ended up going 3-1-0, which is my best showing to date.Going into round four I was one of six players undefeated. Unfortunately, a couple big misplays on my part during my final match led to me losing the match 2 games to 0. Oh well, I'd say I'm still somewhat inexperienced to competitive play (even casual competitive play), so tonight made for a pretty good learning experience. 

The better part was just meeting new people. Sure, there were some people I didn't vibe with, but overall most people were relatively normal and cool to chat with.

That said, I'm still on the fence about going to any pre-release events tomorrow. My original plan for this weekend was to go to all the pre-release events I could fit in, but now that I've done one, it feels like it may have been enough. Mostly cause as much as I enjoy meeting and talking to new people, it's a bit exhausting and I may need to do a few more events before I build up the mental and emotional stamina needed for  two days in a row of it all. (I know, I've done two days in a row of pre-release events before. And it was hell, hence the lack of desire to do so again).

The other reason I'm hesitant to do more events tomorrow is, as said in my last post, this isn't just that amazing of a set. On a one to five scale, my initial impressions of this set are a three. Most these cards seem like they'll fit right into commander decks, but I don't see anything changing the meta in other formats. If anything, the few bangers there are will reinforce the current meta in standard. Granted, I could be wrong about the set - I often am when it comes to these things. But I feel like if I go to any pre-release events tomorrow, I'm going to see a lot of the same of what I saw today and nothing new. I think also the meta for this pre-release has already been figured out online, so a lot of people tomorrow will be building similar decks and that's just kind of boring for such events.

In conclusion, I had a good time and am once again glad I did it. But I'm doubtful about doing even more of it tomorrow. 

Song of the Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home