This doesn't mean I'm maturing
Surprised myself today. By not ordering a Magic product I'd been planning on ordering. It's a deck that will be sold for today and only and if you miss out, you're SOL. Well, technically I can buy it later on the secondary market, but it will undoubtedly cost at least twice as much (likely even more) than it would've had I just bought it direct from WotC today.
The thing was though, when I woke up today, I admitted to myself it was a deck I'll likely never play that has art based upon some fictional Japanese pop star (Hatsune Miku) that I have no interest in. Like I realized me buying it was just giving in to FOMO for no other reason than the FOMO. Sure, I could tell myself I was going it as an investment - this deck will undoubtedly be worth twice it's cost in a year's time and is only likely to keep going up from there. But the truth is I likely wouldn't sell it. Partly because I'd want to keep holding on to it to see just how valuable it could get. But mostly because a product like this will have a smaller group of potential buyers than most Magic products and I'm too lazy to try and seek any of those buyers out.
I know not buying something isn't really a big thing. But for me, it kinda feels like it is. Not life changing big of course. More like a small step in the right direction kind of big. This doesn't mean I won't make future dumb purchases (I probably will), just that I'm getting better at recognizing them and maybe now being able to opt out on occasion. (Which hopefully leads to more opting out and then more opting out and so on).
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home